1 the spatial property of being crowded together [syn: concentration, density, denseness] [ant: distribution]
2 the consistency of a compact solid
- the state of being compact
Compact may mean:
- Compact (newspaper), a broadsheet-quality newspaper printed in a tabloid format.
- Compact (soap opera), a 1960s British soap opera.
- a diplomatic contract or covenant among parties, sometimes known as a pact, treaty, or an interstate compact;
- Compact (cosmetics) A small, typically round case, usually containing one, two or all of the following: a mirror, pressed powder, and/or a powder puff
- Compact car
- "The Compact," a region of space inhabited by fictional aliens in The Chanur novels by C. J. Cherryh.
- Compact space, a topological space such that every open cover has a finite subcover. This corresponds to a closed and bounded subset of a Euclidean space
- Compactness theorem, a set of first-order sentences is satisfiable if every finite subset of it is satisfiable.
- Compact element, those elements of a partially ordered set that cannot be subsumed by a supremum of any directed set that does not already contain them
- measure of non-compactness in functional analysis
- Compact operator, a linear operator that takes bounded subsets to relatively compact subsets, in functional analysis
- Compactness measure of a shape, a numerical quantity representing the compactness (in the common sense) of a geometric shape
- Quasi-compact morphism, in algebraic geometry, a morphism of schemes for which the inverse image of any quasi-compact open set is again quasi-compact
compactness in German: Kompakt
compactness in French: Compact
compactness in Korean: 콤팩트
compactness in Japanese: コンパクト
compactness in Polish: Kompakt
compactness in Slovak: Kompakt